← Back to Blog
Dear UBI Friends and Supporters,
Welcome to our October update about UBI events and publications.
- This Monday, 16 October 18-19.30hrs BST, during London Challenge Poverty Week Daniel Mermelstein, a campaigner with UBI Lab London, will talk about ‘Poverty isn’t a lack of character – it’s a lack of cash’. He will introduce the concept of UBI and explain why it can be a powerful tool in the fight against poverty and inequality. He will also address some of the common objections and misconceptions around UBI.
Daniel will discuss an exciting new trial of UBI that is taking shape near where he lives in North London and how it has been gathering support from the local community and local decision makers.
Anyone dealing with financial precariousness may be interested in this talk. You can register here.
- Basic Income Conversation is running some online media training on how to present and discuss Basic Income in the media this Tuesday 17 October, 4:30pm – 6:30pm UK time. You can prepare for the training and find the Zoom link here.
- Starting on 19 October 2023 and continuing on every 3rd Thursday a new monthly public talk series on ‘The Politics of Basic Income’ will be hosted by the Bath UBI Beacon and Freiburg Institute of Basic Income Studies (FRIBIS), in partnership with the Basic Income Earth Network (BIEN). Experts from different parts of the world will share insights on UBI policy, movement building, and research.
The first online talk by Kelle Howson and Neil Coleman from the Institute of Economic Justice will be on “#Pay The Grants in Africa: The UBI Guarantee in South Africa”.
When: 19.10.2023, 04:00-05:30pm UK time.
Will South Africa be the first country introducing a Basic Income policy after the next general election?
You can find out more and the Zoom link here.
- UBI Lab Finland has started building an understanding of the many perspectives and possibilities of UBI (Universal Basic Income) on the Hunome ‘social 4.0’ platform. We now invite you to join in this collective enterprise. We are arranging an online global sense-making session in, around, and on Universal Basic Income on 24 October at 3-5pm UK time. You can find out more and register here.
- Stephen Sackur on Hardtalk (23 mins) speaks to Green Party of England and Wales politician Caroline Lucas. She’s the party’s only Westminster MP, but she’s decided to quit. Is that because putting the planet first is never going to be a pathway to power? The whole talk is very interesting and informative, but if your time is limited, she briefly defends Basic Income at 13 mins.
- An EU European Citizens’ Initiative has just started: Taxing great wealth to finance the ecological and social transition. You can find more information about the initiators at the website ‘Tax the Rich’. Wealth taxes may not only help to protect our biosphere but also our subsistence by financing a basic income.
- Denver (USA) gave Homeless People $1,000 Per Month and It Got Them Off the Streets and Working Full-Time. Quote: “Nothing helps you out of poverty when you live in a capitalist society like money in your pocket.”You can find out more here at the Futurism website.
- Our UBI Lab Northern Ireland member Patrick Brown visited Brazil recently. He has written a blog about his observations of the Basic Income scheme in Marica paid in the local currency Mumbuca: How a Local Currency is transforming Brazil’s High Streets.
- BBC news report (19/09/2023) about the Basic Income trial for Social Care Leavers in Wales. A quote from a participant: “I don’t like to be controlled, I don’t like people telling me what to do. So knowing that I have that control over my money and now my housing is quite important.” You can read the whole story ‘Basic income: Care leaver says money gives independence’.
- If you live in the Morecambe area you may be interested in this in-person book launch event:
Antonia Pageta – 1940s Italian Surrealist – Deep Fake Artificial Intelligence Art Exhibition and Book Launch
WHERE: Morecambe Library, Central Dr, Morecambe LA4 5DL
WHEN: BOOK LAUNCH Tuesday 24th October 6-7pm BST + discussion on “Artificial Intelligence, the death of the Arts and the need to plan for Universal Basic Income”
WHEN: EXHIBITION Wednesday 18th October – Wednesday 13 December 2023
CONTACT: Anthony Padgett 07902342448 email@example.com
- Geoff Crocker has written a short article ‘What could a Universal Basic Income Deliver in a Future Bristol?’
reinhard on behalf of UBI Lab Leeds